ragtags studio central: sarah's random this & that

random means "having no definite aim or purpose," (1655), taken from "at random" (1565), "at great speed" (thus, "carelessly, haphazardly"). In 1980s college student slang, it somehow, and sadly, acquired a distinct sense of "inferior, undesirable." (Online Etymology Dictionary, Douglas Harper) Well, okay, fine, Mr. Online Etymology Dictionary person, but THIS is the 21st Century. It's a whole new ball of wax.

Friday, May 18, 2007

Wrong number, how might I help you?

I LOVE my cell phone passionately, and yes, I WOULD like to marry it (if it ever asks me, I'll say yes with no hesitation). In fact, I love almost all things technological, except bombs. I don't care a whit that naysayers think our cells and microwaves and computer screens are gonna kill us, or try to (like HAL ---), or at the very least be somewhat instrumental in our doom, or "suck all our time away" from us. Whatever; to my mind, it's brill and gives us the gift of the entire world, good and bad.
That said, no, I'm sorry, you've reached neither American Upholstery nor Bell South. My advice is, just keep trying. Eventually, they're both gonna pick up.