ragtags studio central: sarah's random this & that

random means "having no definite aim or purpose," (1655), taken from "at random" (1565), "at great speed" (thus, "carelessly, haphazardly"). In 1980s college student slang, it somehow, and sadly, acquired a distinct sense of "inferior, undesirable." (Online Etymology Dictionary, Douglas Harper) Well, okay, fine, Mr. Online Etymology Dictionary person, but THIS is the 21st Century. It's a whole new ball of wax.

Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Flashback


Here's a flash from my past.
Late November, 1973. Colin, September Rose and me, at a park in Albuquerque.

Of course, some of the finest moments of my youth have no photo documentation.
For example, hearing Jimi Hendrix at the Civic Auditorium in Albuquerque on a hot June night in 1970. Check out the funky spelling on the "unofficial" flyers! We had to go to the 10 o'clock show; my parents were still together and were going out that evening and as usual, I had to babysit 3 brothers. I went to that concert with a guy who was much older than I was - I was 16 - he was the older brother of a friend. Back then, I was not especially interested in the long-term consequences of anything. I was an accomplished experimenter and risk-taker. It was a night
filled with both; a truly crazy and memorable occasion, even after the music ended, on into the early hours of the morning and long past the setting of the moon and stars. And we were only a few rows from the stage.