ragtags studio central: sarah's random this & that

random means "having no definite aim or purpose," (1655), taken from "at random" (1565), "at great speed" (thus, "carelessly, haphazardly"). In 1980s college student slang, it somehow, and sadly, acquired a distinct sense of "inferior, undesirable." (Online Etymology Dictionary, Douglas Harper) Well, okay, fine, Mr. Online Etymology Dictionary person, but THIS is the 21st Century. It's a whole new ball of wax.

Sunday, March 12, 2006

Yesterday's coffee

Last year my year my good friend Sylvia Luna hosted a HUGE collaborative project. So large, in fact, she had to divide us into groups of twelve. My group actually ended up with only 11 artists as one had to drop out unexpectedly.
At the end of the project we were all s'posed to document what we got back & make copies for everyone. I wasn't able to do so then, but am going to do it belatedly & send along.
This was my piece as it looked when it returned to me.
We each began with a 22" x 28" (or was it 30"?) sheet of watercolor paper. It was a bit of a challenge as they traveled through the postal system rolled, in tubes.
The artists who worked on mine were:
(me), Sylvia, Rae Trujillo, Lisa Engelbrecht, Dorit Elisha, Vicki Sun, Kimberly Sirak, Sheila Rodriguez, Jeri Wilkinson, Maureen Blackman and Debi Scott.
Yesterday I got a totally unexpected heartfelt surprise in the mail from the fabulous Ms. Luna. She had bound a gorgeous book as documentation, with copies of all the art - minus mine & 3 others who couldn't participate in that portion of the project - she had originally made it for herself, but ended up sending it to me! Thanks Sylvia, you're a true friend.