ragtags studio central: sarah's random this & that

random means "having no definite aim or purpose," (1655), taken from "at random" (1565), "at great speed" (thus, "carelessly, haphazardly"). In 1980s college student slang, it somehow, and sadly, acquired a distinct sense of "inferior, undesirable." (Online Etymology Dictionary, Douglas Harper) Well, okay, fine, Mr. Online Etymology Dictionary person, but THIS is the 21st Century. It's a whole new ball of wax.

Monday, February 27, 2006

Choose Simple Shapes


Even though I wasn't yet anywhere near to being born in 1950, when this edition of the "Art for Living" books were being passed out (remember when we had our books passed out,the special ones, the ones we didn't get to keep in our desks?) & opened to page 51 on Art Day (remember when we had art only once a week?), I hafta tell ya, I DO put pretty colored bottles in my windows - have done forever. Sometimes I fill clear bottles with colored water.
In New Orleans, it's tradition to keep cobalt blue bottles on the sills for keeping away the EVIL spirits.
Speaking of New Orleans, I've been reading a book of short stories that's kept me entertained the past few late nights.
I think this one might be next.