ragtags studio central: sarah's random this & that

random means "having no definite aim or purpose," (1655), taken from "at random" (1565), "at great speed" (thus, "carelessly, haphazardly"). In 1980s college student slang, it somehow, and sadly, acquired a distinct sense of "inferior, undesirable." (Online Etymology Dictionary, Douglas Harper) Well, okay, fine, Mr. Online Etymology Dictionary person, but THIS is the 21st Century. It's a whole new ball of wax.

Thursday, March 02, 2006

How I fixed my broken strap &, I hope, saved my dignity.


Last Saturday at the shop, it was my turn to do a demo. I always feel at a loss;
what can I tell anyone they couldn't figure out for themselves? The answer to that turned out to be: they couldn't figure out MY PROCESS OF COLLAGE.
(Phew - thank heavens I still had that ONE trick up my sleeve, she thought to herself, tongue in cheek.)
So, I did the Sarah thing, talked for awhile about the bits I *DO* know about composition, design, lay-out - on the off chance some of THAT might be new to someone.
But the time sped & finally I was forced to put my money where my mouth was, or more precisely, the gluestick to the paper. The patient & good-spirited women (yup, all women, baby, I eagerly await the day I command an all-male audience!) gave me a multiple challenge of (in less than half an hour) creating a collage which conveyed the themes of dog, punk & female. (There were also more obscure themes offered, but I politely (I hope!) declined those until further notice - though there was one really kind fabric artist up from Longmont who insisted I covered all of them including one she called "Forced Memory"! Wow, am I good or what?)
So what you see above, with the exception of the spray paint & the little flying birdie tattoo on the girl's shoulder which I added on once I had finished with the official "demo", is my 30 minute or less homage (more or less) to the dogs, punks & females amongst us. Oh, one last thing, the vertical strips? I thought they kind of resembled a fence & YAY! me! - being "fenced in" just happened to be another one of their wacky themes!