ragtags studio central: sarah's random this & that

random means "having no definite aim or purpose," (1655), taken from "at random" (1565), "at great speed" (thus, "carelessly, haphazardly"). In 1980s college student slang, it somehow, and sadly, acquired a distinct sense of "inferior, undesirable." (Online Etymology Dictionary, Douglas Harper) Well, okay, fine, Mr. Online Etymology Dictionary person, but THIS is the 21st Century. It's a whole new ball of wax.

Monday, December 21, 2009

Miko, at work


Remember when we had Miko in Pasticcio Palais? You're right! It was our very first Holiday issue - #2 - wow! Seems like only yesterday! Remember when Joan Baez sang it (written by Bob Dylan?) (And yes, I am skipping from subject to subject with no rhyme nor reason today. Maybe because it's Winter Solstice...)

Seems like only yesterday
I left my mind behind,
down in a Gypsy Café,
with a friend of a friend of mine,
who sat with baby heavy on her knee,
and spoke of life most free from slavery,
with eyes that showed no trace of misery.
A phrase in connection that I heard her say that love is just a four-letter word.

Outside a rattling storefront window
cats meowed at break of day.
Me, I kept my mouth shut, knew I had no words to say.
My experience was limited and underfed.
You talking while I hid
to the one who was the father of your kid.
You probably didn't think I did, but I heard you say that love is just a four-letter word.

Though I never knew just what you meant
when you were speaking to your man,
I could only think in terms of me
and now I understand.
After waking enough times to think I see
the Holy Kiss that's s'posed to last eternity
blow up in smoke, it's destiny,
it falls on strangers, travels free.
Yet I know now traps are only set by me.
And I do not really need to be assured that love is just a four-letter word.