ragtags studio central: sarah's random this & that

random means "having no definite aim or purpose," (1655), taken from "at random" (1565), "at great speed" (thus, "carelessly, haphazardly"). In 1980s college student slang, it somehow, and sadly, acquired a distinct sense of "inferior, undesirable." (Online Etymology Dictionary, Douglas Harper) Well, okay, fine, Mr. Online Etymology Dictionary person, but THIS is the 21st Century. It's a whole new ball of wax.

Monday, December 07, 2009

But now these days are gone, I'm not so self assured...

The woman pictured here is not me.

Maybe it's the season, maybe it's the stress, but I have been screwing up big time lately. Losing things, losing my mind. In 2010 I WILL carry a little calendar, no matter what, and write EVERYthing down. And keep the effin' house totally clean and picked up so I never lose anything, too.

Saturday night, December 5, was our holiday party. I was late letting everyone know, partly because Colin and I were gone for a week, partly because I procrastinate anyway. By the time I told everyone, even though our party is almost always the first weekend in December, most of them had other committments. Then on Friday, September reminded me that weeks before, I had promised I would be the responsible adult on Saturday while the four kids were at their chess tournament, until mid-afternoon.

Crap! Because I procrastinate, I had done virtually nothing to prepare for the party yet. So Friday night I did what I could, figuring I could go shopping, get the biscochitos baked, etc. in the 4-5 hours I had after the chess tournament before our (relatively) few guests would arrive. I hadn't eaten, but as soon as the kids and chess were no longer my responsibility, I ran to the bank to desposit a few checks, then ran to the market - all this was literally running by the way - then ran home to bake. And then, finally eat something. What I didn't realize until this morning is that in my procrastinator's moment of low blood sugar, the amount I was depositing in the bank was NOT the amount I added up - I included in the deposit a $100 more than I accounted for on the deposit slip. If the bank doesn't catch my mistake, I just basically donated several weeks worth of our groceries to said bank. The last thing I need, right? I'm thinking of giving myself the boot right about now.

What else? Can't find my HUGE hard back copy of The Time Traveler's Wife ANYwhere; was going to lend to September for her book club. Can't find a certain ring, haven't even THOUGHT about holiday cards...Basically I'm a wreck, a lost cause. (Although as you can see from that last comment, I still have a vestige of my sense of humor...) And it isn't helping that every day flashes by faster than a speeding bullet. Help!