ragtags studio central: sarah's random this & that

random means "having no definite aim or purpose," (1655), taken from "at random" (1565), "at great speed" (thus, "carelessly, haphazardly"). In 1980s college student slang, it somehow, and sadly, acquired a distinct sense of "inferior, undesirable." (Online Etymology Dictionary, Douglas Harper) Well, okay, fine, Mr. Online Etymology Dictionary person, but THIS is the 21st Century. It's a whole new ball of wax.

Wednesday, December 16, 2009

A little thing we Italians like to call Coraggio

(painting by Nicholas Basil Haritonoff)

Of course, I'm not really Italian.....though I'm pretty sure we had family from Lombardy.....

Last night I spent (another) sleepless series of minutes turning into hours. I have been - actually Colin has as well, been - wondering what our future holds, and if new ventures on the horizon will be brilliant success stories, or miserable failures. God knows these aren't particularly easy times for anyone. Yet. Colin reminded me of something that, in the light of day when at least some of the demons are at bay, I realize is that thing - a verity, an attitude, a - well, something - important about myself that got lost, or at least slightly misplaced in the shuffle of our lives, that is actually my Saving Grace. He said "You are the woman who moved to Oregon with three babies, $1000, and me. We knew no one and had no jobs." Oh yeah. I was a little freaking then too, but totally willing to take the risk, to revel in the adventure, misguided though it may have been, to show some %#*! courage. Good God! I hitchhiked, traveled places, and even spent time with, men I met on ride boards, didn't think I HAD to be married to have a kid. And that wasn't the half...I may have often worried about things, but I ALMOST always just plunged in anyway. So in this cold, dark season, here's to my personal rededication to Faith, Hope, and most important of all, Courage.