ragtags studio central: sarah's random this & that

random means "having no definite aim or purpose," (1655), taken from "at random" (1565), "at great speed" (thus, "carelessly, haphazardly"). In 1980s college student slang, it somehow, and sadly, acquired a distinct sense of "inferior, undesirable." (Online Etymology Dictionary, Douglas Harper) Well, okay, fine, Mr. Online Etymology Dictionary person, but THIS is the 21st Century. It's a whole new ball of wax.

Friday, January 18, 2008

Long time, no --- nuthin'

So. . . I realize I have been curiously absent from Ragtags on the net lately. No real reason - just a little case of "After The Holidays" malaise, missing me mum (it's been a year now), and work to do (so what else is new).
As much fun as we (me, kids, Col, grandsons, b&gfriends) couldn't help but have throughout December, I am seriously feeling like my extended family is on another planet "or something" - my little brother Pete hasn't returned any of my calls for like, ever, and he's not calling me on his own either. My Auntie Barb, well, I know I seriously suck at almost every form of responsible communication, but it's been months since I heard from her, too. I have talked once or twice with my baby brother Joe, my Auntie Jean, my dad, but --- oh, honestly, I don't really know what I expect. If I want to have a connection with them all, long distance dictates I have to write or call, but when I do and there's no answer --- like with Pete? do I just give up? I mean seriously, I was starting to get some very weird fantasies going about "why no word", and I don't like that in myself. Maybe it's just the fact I'm totally frozen as I sit here typing; you would never think the heater even works around here. Okay, enough of my ridiculous whoping!!! You know - whining and moping? Actually, does anyone out there have a surefire cure for The Wintertime Blues? Might as well do a free prize - haven't for weeks! Leave me a suggestion. Anything, puh-leeze! I'll add your name to the Drawing Box (thanks, Cher) and a special edition artist's apron with a Ragtags Studio image will be the prize. The drawing will be held on February 1st.

Hey! Haven't sent any Photobooth self-portraits out into the blogaliscious world of cyberspace for awhile, so here ya go:

In this one, I am trying to show you the Lotus 'n' Pearl earrings
Jean Yates made for me --- That's another pearl from her on my neck.
Her book Links shows how to wire wrap with the aplomb of a professional.
(You can also see a glimpse of my Big Eyes Artist Girl ring.)

And in this snap, check out the oh-so-cool dress I have on over my basic black
cropped uni. It's kinda 80's; 100% linen, with a Monica Rezman, Chicago label.
I have Angela to thank for it --- her unfailing artist's eye, combined with
an accurate knowledge of what I like, guided her hand in adding it to a package
I recently received from the Great State of California.

Speaking of Big Eyes, if my Fortune is just around the corner, maybe I can spend some of it on this Margaret Keane piece (that kitty looks just like Janie Marie Appleseed):


Well, I think that's "all the news that's fit to print" today. I promise to have some rockin' vint. postcards or other free images for you this weekend, so be sure to check back.
Me? I'm gonna go reheat my Chai and make the house nice for Colin getting home (late) tonight from Boston (again).
'til later,
sarah