ragtags studio central: sarah's random this & that

random means "having no definite aim or purpose," (1655), taken from "at random" (1565), "at great speed" (thus, "carelessly, haphazardly"). In 1980s college student slang, it somehow, and sadly, acquired a distinct sense of "inferior, undesirable." (Online Etymology Dictionary, Douglas Harper) Well, okay, fine, Mr. Online Etymology Dictionary person, but THIS is the 21st Century. It's a whole new ball of wax.

Saturday, August 11, 2007

New old series

Ready for another series? This one will be shorter - a kind of visual tutorial on using one image to create many pieces. I have become enthralled with that sort of approach recently, and expect to continue my explorations of this facet of personal icongraphy.
So with no further yakety-yak, let's get to it.
These two little girls are a small detail in a much larger vintage photograph for which I purchased the rights to use from the National Archives. Some time ago I made about two dozen atcs which featured them, and though this time I'm not going to post each one, I will show you several I feel were especially successful as miniature masterpieces. I call them my Grunge Girls.Here you see them sepia toned, film grain filtered and printed on to a transparency layered over several "labels", including one torn from an envelope addressed to me. Note the ace of hearts in the upper left hand corner. Doesn't it look just a little bit like the girl on the left is dragging along that section of printed paper as if it were a banner? Or maybe it's a shawl. . .