ragtags studio central: sarah's random this & that

random means "having no definite aim or purpose," (1655), taken from "at random" (1565), "at great speed" (thus, "carelessly, haphazardly"). In 1980s college student slang, it somehow, and sadly, acquired a distinct sense of "inferior, undesirable." (Online Etymology Dictionary, Douglas Harper) Well, okay, fine, Mr. Online Etymology Dictionary person, but THIS is the 21st Century. It's a whole new ball of wax.

Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Good for ONE DANCE

I made this atc for the magazine Home Companion --- last February/March's ish --- it was featured on page 107 in their section called Paper, Scissors, Crop along with several more atcs of mine, an atc holder I created, and lots more by my dear friend and excellent artist Sylvia Luna and the talented Stacie Rife.
The photo is my pretty little mother around 1941, about 9 years old, with a Wisconsin cuz.
Regardless of circumstances or the state of one's relationship, losing a parent (or sister, or child or friend) is not something one comes to grip with easily or in a convenient time frame.
There have been enough losses in my own life and the lives of those I hold in my heart to speak with a bit of knowledge on the subject.
It is exactly two months today since my mum left this life.
I hope some day to possess both greater faith and a larger grace than I do now, but for the moment I find myself somehow lacking --- something. Whatever strength of heart or will is necessary, for understanding and acceptance, well, I haven't enough.
I study images of my mother's face at all ages, and find her sweetly and terribly beautiful and also, inscrutable.