ragtags studio central: sarah's random this & that

random means "having no definite aim or purpose," (1655), taken from "at random" (1565), "at great speed" (thus, "carelessly, haphazardly"). In 1980s college student slang, it somehow, and sadly, acquired a distinct sense of "inferior, undesirable." (Online Etymology Dictionary, Douglas Harper) Well, okay, fine, Mr. Online Etymology Dictionary person, but THIS is the 21st Century. It's a whole new ball of wax.

Wednesday, September 09, 2009

Who's Got the Button?

I used to sew. Daily. I made clothes for myself. The kids. The shirt Colin wore when we got married. Curtains. Toys. Costumes. Quilts. I'm hoping to start again soon. So I recently went to a fabric store, coupon in hand to actually invest in a real, final, for good and all never to be used for ANYthing else, pair of cloth cutting scissors. Even with the coupon they cost --- well, a lot. I told myself I wouldn't even look at another thing. Except. When I sewed I was a button addict. The overalls I made for the kids never had plain buttons; I searched high and low for the grooviest ones to be had for Small Change. I replaced all the standard ones on thrift store finds with motley and sundry. So, back to my foray at the fabric store. Out of the corner of my eye, I caught a glimpse of the latest buttons and knock me over! La Mode, one of the original button manufacturers is at the artistic edge with a line of fabulous, inexpensive graphic plastics. AND far effing out! They have brought back some of the coolest of the cool - popular vintage styles, labeled as to era, and manufactured in Italy. Buttons. They're SO worth the splurge.

Labels: , , , , ,