ragtags studio central: sarah's random this & that

random means "having no definite aim or purpose," (1655), taken from "at random" (1565), "at great speed" (thus, "carelessly, haphazardly"). In 1980s college student slang, it somehow, and sadly, acquired a distinct sense of "inferior, undesirable." (Online Etymology Dictionary, Douglas Harper) Well, okay, fine, Mr. Online Etymology Dictionary person, but THIS is the 21st Century. It's a whole new ball of wax.

Monday, November 12, 2007

a World Premiere, a Sunday brunch, a secret sin on which to munch

I had the nicest note from Jeanne Minnix about my blogged mention of Across The Universe; she said she hadn't heard of it, but after reading the blog note, she saw it with friends and they all really had a fab time, so, yay!

Saturday September, Dante, Sebastian, Colin and I went into downtown Denver to meet Corina.
She and Brent have been members of the Denver Film Society for the last few years and get in to see any premieres that come to town. Plus the Film Festival etc. It's cool, and such a plus of big city life. Every time we go down to Denver, we daydream a little about living there, not here, for that reason and others. True, it's no Chicago . . . still . . .
So Saturday we attended a Denver (Red Carpet) World Premiere of Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium, a lovely way to spend the afternoon. The movie was shown in the Ellie Caulkins Opera House, where a fabulous Chihuly chandelier graces the lobby - a sculpted 500-pound glass flower whose folding petals dance above the waiting audience. There are three balconies and an elegantly appointed bar with very handsome bartenders. The movie itself was quite fun and colorful, and who doesn't love toys - there WERE a few moments when the only dry eyes were those of the kids under the age of 8! My one small caveat - I would have written the very final scene somewhat differently.

Sunday morning Monica and I went over to Lisa's in Loveland for her birthday brunch. Her house is just simply so cool, so art-ful, so elegant, so SWELL, it's kinda hard not to let the green meanies take control; not that she shouldn't have it so, but that mine can't be equally! Alas! At least I get the pleasure of seeing it on occasion. The food was delicious and her friends delightful.

Sunday night, Colin and I went to Ed and Niamh's, our next-doors, to watch the last 3 episodes in the fourth and final season of my secret vice, The OC. I can't help myself, I found it oh so entertaining; yes, I loved it! Who wouldn't love a show where the new kid in town is welcomed with a punch in the face and the stellar line, "Welcome to The OC, bitch."? (Chris Carmack as Luke Ward said it.) The first two seasons had a good formula for almost every episode, a fight, and a party. Even the episodes which lacked those key elements in the third and fourth season drew me in, as any soap opera worth its suds should, by the power of narrative and never ever taking itself TOO seriously. OC, I will miss you.

What else did I do this weekend? Well, I read three books which Dante has been totally into for the past week or two - he has to read at least half an hour every day for school, but often reads much more. In between X-box, homework, his "Academy", student council, Math Olympiad, etc. These books may be written for 4th and 5th graders, but I tell you they are COMPELLING! Gregor the Overlander, Gregor and the Prophecy of Bane and Gregor and the Curse of the Warmbloods are the 3 books I finished. As soon as he finishes the 4th, Dante has promised to lend it to me (luckily I read fast; he won't get an overdue fine on my account!).

Because I finally did take almost an entire weekend to just play (well, I DID change the sheets, but did NOT make a deposit at the bank - oh no!) I have to work extra hard this week to make it all good. Pack things to mail, work on journals, clean up, start holiday house party prep, etc. So with that, and these 2 self-portraits, I will sign off.
your ever faithful,
sarah