ragtags studio central: sarah's random this & that

random means "having no definite aim or purpose," (1655), taken from "at random" (1565), "at great speed" (thus, "carelessly, haphazardly"). In 1980s college student slang, it somehow, and sadly, acquired a distinct sense of "inferior, undesirable." (Online Etymology Dictionary, Douglas Harper) Well, okay, fine, Mr. Online Etymology Dictionary person, but THIS is the 21st Century. It's a whole new ball of wax.

Thursday, November 01, 2007

I wonder, wonder, wonder,

wonder who, who wrote the Book of Love.
Well, yes, I do wonder that, but I also wonder if there is something inherently melancholic in the psyche of blog readers/writers. I mean, I know I am cynical about far too many things - and you can call me crazy, call me crazy if ya like - but there seem to be a preponderance of blogs out there filled with the most, fraught with the most, frenetic with the most mournful and sad takes on everything from the lives of the writers to, um well, let's just say mostly the lives of the writers. Considering everything which has occurred with the dawn of the 21st century, is that really what people want to read the first thing every morning and the last thing at night? Apparently for huge numbers of over-the-shoulder, peep-through-the- windows- --- and face it, that's exactly what we do when we read our daily blogs --- readers, the answer is an overwhelming yes. Why? I don't know. It's enough to make one doubt the impetus to carry on, in forthright Pollyanna fashion. Yet, dear readers, while on a rare occasion you may find even your faithful observer and recorder, me, on a brief meander into the maudlin, or sincerely FREAKIN' (generally that's thanks to my darling children and their own dc, oh and occasionally, a missing black cat by the name of Janie Marie Appleseed) when you visit my blog, you will probably find it more often totally lacking that certain something, that je ne sais quois, that flair for the wandering in the fields of the sorrowful ennui and introspection of a true artistic temperament, with little to no raising my internet hand to forehead as I swoon on about my days.
For those of you who do stop by now and then to see what's goin' on here in the Design & Ragtags Studio Garret, my feelings would best be expressed, ala Molly Shannon (aka Mary Katherine Gallagher), in this song, as sung by the Iowa townsfolk in the Music Man, a 1962, made for the theater movie, starring Shirley Jones, as Marian the Librarian. Here, you must imagine me as I am, standing here by the window through which I watch the world outside my head, singing: "But what the heck you're welcome, glad to have you with us, even though we may not ever mention it again."

End of Rant.
To prove to you that I am not a total curmudgeon,
let me say so long for now with this rather nice altered image -
the original, a photograph I took outside of
the University of New Mexico Theater Department in 1972.
Let's call it 'I Wonder' or maybe, 'I Nap'.