ragtags studio central: sarah's random this & that

random means "having no definite aim or purpose," (1655), taken from "at random" (1565), "at great speed" (thus, "carelessly, haphazardly"). In 1980s college student slang, it somehow, and sadly, acquired a distinct sense of "inferior, undesirable." (Online Etymology Dictionary, Douglas Harper) Well, okay, fine, Mr. Online Etymology Dictionary person, but THIS is the 21st Century. It's a whole new ball of wax.

Sunday, May 10, 2009

It's the coolest job in the world (and maybe the hardest?) being a mother. So many ways to screw up, and so many ways to do good - every day of the year. I know it's pure chez, but! My kids totally give me my greatest joys and cause me, a relatively optimistic person, my craziest worries. I love them all fervently, almost as much as I love their dad (um, that's a joke, a reference to an interesting book by Ayelet Waldman...). Actually I really do love them all equally, but each differently. The same is true with grandkids. Equally, but differently. I hope that's something they will always remember, how much I cherish them, even when I may lose it in the moment...

Anyway. Mother's Day is cool, like the job itself, but also, kinda hard when your own mum's gone. I mean, I can still hear mine whenever I speak, nuances of voice and cadence, and sometimes when I look in the mirror, I see a glimpse of her. We were never best friends, but I loved her fiercely, and feel badly for all the times I let her down or disappointed. I was too often selfish, or maybe I am simply too much myself to have been successful at trying to be the perfect daughter for my particular mother, still, I wish I had been. If only she had had "anudder" daughter...On the other hand, she always said she didn't really like or trust women. And that with good reason! She did have a few girlfriends throughout her life...They were certainly better than I was at being there for her. Argh! This all sounds a bit morose for Mother's Day. I don't mean that! Happy Mother's Day, all y'all!!!!