ragtags studio central: sarah's random this & that

random means "having no definite aim or purpose," (1655), taken from "at random" (1565), "at great speed" (thus, "carelessly, haphazardly"). In 1980s college student slang, it somehow, and sadly, acquired a distinct sense of "inferior, undesirable." (Online Etymology Dictionary, Douglas Harper) Well, okay, fine, Mr. Online Etymology Dictionary person, but THIS is the 21st Century. It's a whole new ball of wax.

Saturday, April 03, 2010

"Take the pencil in hand,"

"Take the pencil in hand," the first sentence told me, "and draw a line."
I took the pencil in hand. I drew a line.   

"Draw a circle." I drew a circle. 
"Draw a square." I drew a square.
"Have you completed all these commands correctly?" the page asked, and it offered a picture of each thing, just in case I needed a reminder of what they were supposed to look like.
I studied my line. I studied my circle. I studied my square.
All appeared to me to be as good as what I saw printed next to directions, though maybe not as sharp and bold and exact -- but I hadn't used a ruler or a compass or anything, so what would you expect?

"Are they just as they appear in the illustrations?"
I checked again. I had done what I was supposed to.
"Then we wish you sincere congratulations!" the words told me.
"Now you are an artist."
Suzanne Strempek Shea