ragtags studio central: sarah's random this & that

random means "having no definite aim or purpose," (1655), taken from "at random" (1565), "at great speed" (thus, "carelessly, haphazardly"). In 1980s college student slang, it somehow, and sadly, acquired a distinct sense of "inferior, undesirable." (Online Etymology Dictionary, Douglas Harper) Well, okay, fine, Mr. Online Etymology Dictionary person, but THIS is the 21st Century. It's a whole new ball of wax.

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Remember your first bike?


  • Frame: Atomic 13 Aluminum, w/E.A.S.E. Geometry
  • Fork: Steel Comfort
  • Derailleur: (R) Shimano TX-31
  • Cranks: Prowheel 36t
  • Shifter: Shimano SL-RS31 Revo 7spd
  • Rims: Weinmann XC-260 Double Wall
  • Color(s): Blackberry
  • $ (That's what they SAY, for me it felt more like $$) The fenders were a custom add-on. And that's my old basket. . . so I did a little economizing. . .

  • Anyway, I got my first bike when I was 19. I traded my friend Susan, who had jury duty, childcare. It was an old 5-speed Raleigh with a real leather seat and the coolest decal on the step-through - a girl hula hooping - looking vaguely pin-up, dressed, but with her hair flying and a sassy expression. I feel I need one for this baby (a 7-speed Circa 1.0), too, but have no intention of waiting to ride until I find one. I will be waiting to ride if the ice don't melt!

    Labels: , , , , , ,