ragtags studio central: sarah's random this & that

random means "having no definite aim or purpose," (1655), taken from "at random" (1565), "at great speed" (thus, "carelessly, haphazardly"). In 1980s college student slang, it somehow, and sadly, acquired a distinct sense of "inferior, undesirable." (Online Etymology Dictionary, Douglas Harper) Well, okay, fine, Mr. Online Etymology Dictionary person, but THIS is the 21st Century. It's a whole new ball of wax.

Tuesday, March 18, 2008

"How much do you love me?" and "Who's in charge?"


Anyone recognize where those two lines came from?
(answer at the end of todays post)
I know some people think tagging is lame. Not me; I totally love it. In a world so often filled with grief and strife, there's always room to make an unexpected connection (or expected, and with a stranger, or even someone you (thought!!) you know). We are by nature crazily interested in each other and the lives we live. Unless of course one is a misanthrope. But if one IS, then what the heck is one doing reading blogs anyway? Maybe you're really NOT the people hater you thought yourself, Miss Anne Thrope!
This tag, courtesy of the beautiful, talented, and witty Jenn, is to name 7 random, odd, or strange facts about myself.

#1 In 1972, when I was not quite 18 I 'met' Richie Havens. He came to play a gig in Santa Fe. I had gone out a couple of times with Tony Seymour. He was scheduled to interview Mr. Havens, who was staying in a trailer on the outskirts of Santa Fe. Tony said I could come along and after a delayed start (car troubles - we lived in Albuquerque) we made it out there. I was such a nutty kid, I honestly don't know what possessed me, maybe I just thought I was being polite, and believe it or not, I CAN be kinda shy at times (I act like I'm not to cover for myself. "Hey, self, be cool, don't run off, get back here." "Um. Okay.") But we knocked on the door of the trailer that afternoon, Mr. Havens opened it with some majorly long skinny fingers covered in clay, I said "Hey", and then went and sat down in the dirt in the middle of the mesa, sketching some cactus, my boots, whatev, leaving those two guys alone in the trailer! Why oh why did I not listen to that dang interview? Lordy.
#2 There are some snacks I love that def. qualify as Random. I love peanut butter and pickle sandwiches. (The pickle has to be kosher dill, sliced the short way.) Also, a flour tortilla, spread with hot green chili sauce and dark chocolate chips, microwaved for like, 20 seconds? is a special treat. Along that line, ooh. I do like a bowl of Rice Chex with dark chocolate chips and 1% milk once a day. It has to be 1% though, higher than that is too thick. Oh, and I drink rose syrup and 1% milk in a little cordial glass to fall asleep.
#3 I wish Conan O'Brien would stop being so obnoxious before he takes over as The Tonight Show Host.
#4 I don't own any jeans (Not that I hate jeans or anything, it's just when my last pair bit the dust, I never got new ones.).
#5 There have been long periods in my adult life where I had no TV set, and even when I had a set, it only played snow.
#6 My fave spices ALL begin with the letter 'C' - caraway, cardamom, cayenne, celery ceed, cilantro, cinnamon, coriander, cumin, curry.
#7 I actually really like the movie Wild Orchid.

So now ya know.
I tag anyone who wants to play, but esp.
Seth
Pilar
Lisa
Dante

As for the lines quoted in this blog entry's title, well. I am almost finished reading Eat, Pray, Love. Thank God. Although it's well-written, I don't really like it very much. Ms. Gilbert spends way too much time (my opinion) lamenting every aspect ad infinitum of her "herness". I find it sad that a woman who has, in many ways, a relatively easy life (I KNOW, I have not walked in her shoes) has such a difficult time looking past herself. Anyway, I did appreciate the comments above. She said an old woman told her "There are only two questions humans have fought over through all of history: How much do you love me? and Who's in charge?" - and that, dear reader, is the random line from a book universally acclaimed (except by me) that totally rings true.